Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?

2013-08-20 16:34:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:03:51 -0400

On 08/20/13 15:02, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 08/19/2013 12:41 PM, Jonathan Bayer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a few users who, for various reasons, constantly create &
>> delete huge files (hundreds of gigs).  I'd like to exclude these
>> from the backup process.
>>
>> How can I do that, since I don't know where they can appear or
>> what their names are?
>
> You can't.

Actually, ues, you can.  Instead of using a static Fileset, you can
configure Bacula to source a script that generates it on the fly.  You
could create a dynamic-fileset script that excludes all files over a
specified size.

Here's an example from
http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/install/install/Configuring_Director.html
of a dynamically-generated Fileset:

Include {
   Options {
      signature = SHA1
   }
   File = "|sh -c 'df -l | grep \"^/dev/hd[ab]\" | grep -v \".*/tmp\" \
      | awk \"{print \\$6}\"'"
}

So you could simply create a dynamic fileset script here that
enumerates all directories and all files not exceeding a specified size.

Now, the above is a bit of a brute-force solution.  I have not
personally tried this refinement, but I see no reason it should not
ALSO be possible to create a static fileset with a dynamically
generated exclude list, something like this.

FileSet {
  Name = "Dynamic Exclude Set"
  Include {
     Options {
        signature = SHA1
        File      = "|sh -c 'find /home -size +10G'"
        Exclude   = yes
     }
     File = /
     File = /home
     File = /var
  }
}

This example should result in automatically excluding any file 10GB or
larger located anywhere under /home.

- --
co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.