Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] brestore vs version browser

2011-12-13 11:45:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] brestore vs version browser
From: Eric Bollengier <eric.bollengier AT baculasystems DOT com>
To: Silver Salonen <silver AT serverock DOT ee>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:43:16 +0100
On 13/12/2011 14:40, Silver Salonen wrote:
> On 13.12.2011 15:24, Eric Bollengier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 13/12/2011 13:54, Silver Salonen wrote:
>>> Yes, I can see the list of jobs, but the list is of all the individual
>>> jobs (incremental, differential etc.), not a logical set of all jobs
>>> configured for the FD. And the problem is that although I know which job
>>> has the file/folder, I don't know in which job instance it was backed up.
>> Normally, it's more a time view, you choose a date, and it displays all
>> files that were available at this date. (the idea was to merge all
>> fileset into a single view, it's what is implemented in the perl
>> version, but it's not yet in the QT version)

I just looked more carefully, and it's already implemented and can be
enabled/disabled by clicking on "Merge jobs".

If you have ideas/patches about the window layout, tooltips,
organization, feel free to comment. It looks reasonable to me, simpler
than the File Version Browser.

The cache creation can be a bit slow on untuned system at the first run.
It has to build a Path hierarchy table that is shared between all jobs
and all clients. So, the second time, only new directories are added and
it run much faster.

At this time, this tool is working extremely well on Postgres, and is
slower on MySQL/SQLite. For example, it permits to browse directories
that contain millions of small files within few ms.

Feedbacks and improvement patches are welcome for this two engines.

>>> Without selecting anything, the default is "Job list for myfd" - how can
>>> I now browse anything? Clicking on both "File Filter"'s refresh-button
>>> or "Current Directory" button gives an error "Can't find jobid, pathid
>>> or path argument".
>> If you don't pick a job (or a date), you can't browse files... It sounds
>> me obvious. We should maybe add a blink pointer or disable all other items.
>>
>> Bye
> OK, that's what I suspected. So the bRestore has not the same
> functionality as Version Browser. Because in Version Browser I could
> select a job, browse through ALL files and find out on which date any
> file is available for.

Since the "Merge Job" is implemented, I don't see what is missing from
the Version Browser.

> Could the Version Browser be brought back or re-enabled in a custom
> build somehow?

This is probably just commented in the code, take a look to the git
history to find when it has been disabled, and recompile it.

Bye

--
Need professional help and support for Bacula ?
Visit http://www.baculasystems.com