Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Noob user impressions and why I chose not touse Bacula

2011-12-05 19:49:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Noob user impressions and why I chose not touse Bacula
From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 20:17:39 -0430
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM, James Harper
<james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au> wrote:
>> Regarding the disaster recovery, I have a suggestion for the bacula
> team:
>>
>> Why not make the director write the bacula config files and any
> relevant bsr
>> files at the beginning of each tape?
>> The space wasted on the tape to save these file would be very small.
>>

> A script to email the bsr file to a gmail/Hotmail/whatever account would
> suffice. It's not like the file contains any sensitive information.

Well, yeah, you could also rsync those files to any of the available
online storage solutions (some of them free).... but, I think this
breaks the point of "being able to recover from just the tape", or for
instance: any storage (disks, for example)...

Now, I wonder if any backup solution out-there allows you to do
this... ie: recover from just backup media, you *always* need to get
OS running again... so, there is no such thing as "bare metal"
recovery. Unless you create something like an installer image that
uses the backup to restore the machine... mmm.... maybe a
"life-bacula"... that automatically rebuild the catalog from
volumes... uh... is that possible? (automatically and completely
rebuild catalog from volumes?).

Ildefonso Camargo