Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Noob user impressions and why I chose not touse Bacula

2011-12-06 03:55:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Noob user impressions and why I chose not touse Bacula
From: baculamail AT vax-11 DOT org
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 01:53:35 -0700 (MST)
I have used backup solutions in the past which supported a bare-metal
recovery using a modified version of a live disk. The one that remains
most clearly in mind is Backup-Exec (which has changed names several
times) for windows. Using a disk created specifically for disaster
recovery you would install windows XP up to the first reboot normally,
then restore all the files from tape using a BSR file stored on a floppy.

I would think you could do bare metal recovery with Bacula with a live CD
from your OS vendor, and a USB stick containing standalone versions of the
daemons and a BSR file. I haven't tried it since I usually take the
opportunity provided by a hard disk crash to install a new version of the
OS. I recall it being somewhat painful to recover sufficient information
from the tape to rebuild the SQL database, but that could have been a
result of a version change in Bacula as well.

Clint