Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Noob user impressions and why I chose not to use Bacula

2011-12-05 14:38:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Noob user impressions and why I chose not to use Bacula
From: Pablo Marques <pmarques AT miamilinux DOT net>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 14:36:27 -0500 (EST)
>> Thanks you Jesse for the feedback.
>>
>> Regarding the disaster recovery, I have a suggestion for the bacula
>> team:
>>
>> Why not make the director write the bacula config files and any
>> relevant bsr files at the beginning of each tape? The space wasted on
>> the tape to save these file would be very small.

>Well, the first problem here is that the Director would have to know how
>much space it was going to need for BSR files.  Of course, it could
>pre-allocate a fixed-size block of, say, 1MB for BSR files.

Agree, 1 MB is basically nothing on a tape and it can accommodate easily a huge
amount of bsr files.
My /etc/bacula is 88k uncompressed.

>The second problem, it seems to me, is that this would break
>compatibility with all older Bacula volumes and installations.

not necessarily if you make this information at the beginning of the tape look
like a "volume file".
It will be ignored by old directors because it will look the same as a failed
job that took space on the tape.

Pablo