Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] severity of warnings issued by Bacula

2011-05-04 12:10:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] severity of warnings issued by Bacula
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Bacula Users List <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:07:26 +0100
Hi,

like many people I imagine, we get various warnings from the Bacula
daemons, particularly the file daemons.  There are some which seem like
it would be nice to simply suppress them and some which are severe and I'd
actually like more attention drawn to them.

To give an example, on a director's laptop, every backup comes with a slew
of:

04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default/SendTo is a junction
point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.
04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default/Start Menu is a
junction point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.
04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default/Templates is a
junction point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.
04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default User is a junction
point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.

There are no fewer than 163 of these messages, which makes the resulting backup
email very hard to read.  These warnings are totally benign and happen on every
single backup.  It would be great to have a way to suppress them so.

By contrast, I recently also noticed a bunch of errors of this form in a
Windows server backup:

01-May 05:00 saturnalia-fd JobId 14146: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="VSS
Vista", Drive(s)="E"
01-May 05:00 saturnalia-fd JobId 14146:      Could not stat
"e:/gxxxxxxxxxxxx.Avi": ERR=The system cannot find the path specified.
01-May 05:00 saturnalia-fd JobId 14146:      Could not stat
"e:/gxxxxxxxxxxxxx.doc": ERR=The system cannot find the path specified.
01-May 05:00 saturnalia-fd JobId 14146:      Could not stat
"e:/grxxxxxxxxx.Avi": ERR=The system cannot find the path specified.

This, it turns out was a backup seriously failing due to a filesystem issue
on that server.  Thanks to Bacula reporting it and me actually reading the
report email, we got to solve that.  I might easily have missed this
though.

It would be great to have a feature which allowed us to say for specific
jobdefaults, jobs or file daemons that warnings or messages matching a
certain pattern were harmless, eg.
        /is a junction point or a different filesystem. Will not descend/

On the other hand, a "Could not stat" is a message I'd like to have my
attention drawn to.  It could indicate that a backup has effectively
failed.

I currently filter all bacula backup reports into a folder if they have
a subject header beginning "Bacula: Backup OK of ".  This means that I only
get bacula reports in my inbox where the backup fails.  If the headers
could somehow reflect this more severe error, that would be great.

Is there a way to do something like this?  It's difficult to catalogue all
warnings that might be bad, but one can quite quickly work out what
warnings are normal.  I guess I'm looking for something like a pedantic
mode which gives messages like:

Subject: Bacula: Backup OK (Warning!) of .....

unless the warnings are ones I've already configured it to ignore -- in
which case they might even be left out of the body altogether.

Sorry to be demanding :-)

Gavin