Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] severity of warnings issued by Bacula

2011-05-05 10:57:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] severity of warnings issued by Bacula
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 10:54:35 -0400
On 05/05/11 09:56, Martin Simmons wrote:

>> Op 4/05/2011 18:07, Gavin McCullagh schreef:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> like many people I imagine, we get various warnings from the Bacula
>>> daemons, particularly the file daemons.  There are some which seem like
>>> it would be nice to simply suppress them and some which are severe and I'd
>>> actually like more attention drawn to them.
>>>
>>> To give an example, on a director's laptop, every backup comes with a slew
>>> of:
>>>
>>> 04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default/SendTo is a
>>> junction point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.
>>> 04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default/Start Menu is a
>>> junction point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.
>>> 04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default/Templates is a
>>> junction point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.
>>> 04-May 15:50 yyyyyy-fd JobId 14235:      c:/Users/Default User is a
>>> junction point or a different filesystem. Will not descend from c:/ into it.
>>>
>>> There are no fewer than 163 of these messages, which makes the resulting
>>> backup
>>> email very hard to read.  These warnings are totally benign and happen on
>>> every
>>> single backup.  It would be great to have a way to suppress them so.
>> This is just the standard Bacula way of telling you "Hey, I encountered
>> a junction point! But because I'm smart I didn't back up the files again."
>> All you need to do to suppress those messages is add all the junction
>> points on the given windows system to the exclude list of your filesystem.
>> Bacula will then no longer mention skipping them as you explicitly told
>> it to do so.
>
> Have you tried doing a restore from this?  If you exclude them, then they
> won't be in the backup so that might produce an incomplete setup (unless
> Windows recreates them).

This does raise a significant issue.

I have just begun rolling out Windows 7, though I don't have them set up
as Bacula clients yet.  Given the opacity of much of Windows, trying to
bare-metal-backup the whole machine seems both wasteful and
unproductive.  I suspect what would be the ideal here would be to figure
out a backup strategy for Windows that captures the applications and
user data/settings, and restore by doing a reinstall, patching to
current, then restoring all the user data/prefs and applications onto it.

Has anyone tried this approach and come up with a good basic for doing
it on Windows 7?

The next best thing, of course - or possibly a good companion - would be
to come up with a good Windows 7 base job to minimize the volume of
unnecessary duplicated data backed up from each machine.  I have yet to
find or make time to experiment with base jobs, and there's a lot I
don't yet understand about them.

A first step toward both of these is probably getting a good
understanding of how the base Windows 7 install is actually structured
and where all the junction points are.  Call me cynical if you want, but
sometimes I have a hard time believing Microsoft does not intentionally
obfuscate things like this specifically to make life difficult for third
parties.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.