Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pools and Volumes

2011-04-06 13:38:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pools and Volumes
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:35:27 -0400
> I haven't gotten this to work yet, that is my goal.  The two options I
> have gotten are to turn my jbod into a raid or use "vchanger".  I'm all
> for using RAID, but my co-workers don't want to too.. they are worried
> about the array getting corrupted and then we lose all our backups,
> where as in a jbod if a drive dies, we only lose what's on that drive.
> Personally, I'd rather use raid and that would end my threads on getting
> bacula to use multiple drives.  ha ha

I am with them on this. I really do not like to see all backups on a
single raid. 2 raids each having a copy is fine however.

> I started looking at vchanger but as bacula is already complicated
> enough, I'd rather not toss another 3rd party software package into the
> mix... but if I have to I will.

I believe the vchanger actually simplifies things instead of making it
more complicated because then you have 1 device that you send your
jobs to and bacula finds the space to put your backup.

> I'm wondering now if I could setup a bunch of volumes across the
> multiple drives and will bacula use the space however it wants to?  I
> guess I can try and test this.

This will get you back to the problem of assigning storage devices to jobs.

> Right now I have my storage daemon conf file setup with a device
> resource for each of my drives in the jbod box, I also have a storage
> resource setup in my director conf file for each of the drives in the box.
>
> When I manually create a volume it asks me which drive, volume name and
> which pool.  So it /appears/ that bacula will write to multiple drives
> without using vchanger, but I seem to be missing something, because it's
> not working.

To write to multiple drives you need either multiple storage devices
and having to specify for each job what storage device to use. If the
drive fills it will not continue on any other drive. It would need to
recycle volumes on the same drive.

An alternative would be to externally manage the drive switching. This
can be done several ways. I mentioned several alternatives in my
complicated than using a vchanger in the first place.

John