Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pools and Volumes

2011-04-06 13:20:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pools and Volumes
From: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 13:17:29 -0400
  On 04/06/2011 12:44 PM, John Drescher wrote:
> Yes you made sense.
>
> How are you getting bacula to use the next drive when the first is
> full? Different storage devices? Rotating symbolic links? aufs /
> unionfs?
>
> John

I haven't gotten this to work yet, that is my goal.  The two options I
have gotten are to turn my jbod into a raid or use "vchanger".  I'm all
for using RAID, but my co-workers don't want to too.. they are worried
about the array getting corrupted and then we lose all our backups,
where as in a jbod if a drive dies, we only lose what's on that drive.
Personally, I'd rather use raid and that would end my threads on getting
bacula to use multiple drives.  ha ha

I started looking at vchanger but as bacula is already complicated
enough, I'd rather not toss another 3rd party software package into the
mix... but if I have to I will.

I'm wondering now if I could setup a bunch of volumes across the
multiple drives and will bacula use the space however it wants to?  I
guess I can try and test this.

Right now I have my storage daemon conf file setup with a device
resource for each of my drives in the jbod box, I also have a storage
resource setup in my director conf file for each of the drives in the box.

When I manually create a volume it asks me which drive, volume name and
which pool.  So it /appears/ that bacula will write to multiple drives
without using vchanger, but I seem to be missing something, because it's
not working.