Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Please use the "label" command to create a new Volume / why?

2010-09-23 11:47:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Please use the "label" command to create a new Volume / why?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:44:29 -0400
> This may sound like a stupid question, but everything I've found relating to
> this error referrs to problems with tape changers and our system is entirely
> disk based. We've got two debian servers running bacula 2.44 and 3.02 (yes,
> they're old, the 2.44 one is getting upgraded very soon)
>
> anyway, I often get this error,

I would not call that an error. Nothing is wrong. It's just that
bacula does not have any usable media available.

> Bacula: Intervention needed for Backup_newserver.2010-09-07_00.35.00.48
>
> 07-Sep 07:35 bacula-sd JobId 80852: Job
> Backup_newserver.2010-09-07_00.35.00.48 waiting. Cannot find any appendable
> volumes.
> Please use the "label" command to create a new Volume for:
> Storage: "newserverFileStorage" (/d4/bacula/mailservers/newserver)
> Pool: newserver
> Media type: File
>
> Now it's easy enough to fix, I go into the directory, see that the most
> recent file is
>
> newserver-day-0777
>
> i run these commands
>
> bconsole
> label
> (select the newserver from the pool)
> (enter new label) newserver-day-0778
> (select the newserver from the pool)
>
> Job done.
>
> Now when I saw this previously, I thought it was because we had run out of
> disk space or because we had previously deleted old volumes from the pools.
> We recently added a diska rray onto each of the servers and have created
> fresh pools so that's not the case now.
>
> Everything ran fine for the first couple of months after I added the new
> arrays but now I'm seeing this error crop up more and more often. If I run
> the commands above, the backup runs fine but frequently I see the same error
> pop up for the same servers the next day.
>
> Each server runs about 100 backups over a 12 hour period,  most run fine but
> we're getting more of these errors, can anyone give any clues as to why this
> is happening?

Do you already have 65 volumes allocated in the pool?

Wait a minute this has to fail. I mean you said you do 100 backups in
12 hours but then your configuration has use the volume once (and hold
each volume for 65 days after using) so that at maximum 65 jobs can be
run without you labeling more volumes manually since bacula will not
label more than your 65 volume limit.

John