Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-18 08:59:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:54:29 +0100
Hi,

17.02.2010 22:29, Bob Hetzel wrote:
>> From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
>> Subject: Re:
>> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>>
>> Hi,

> Are there any files which specifically should NOT be restored... perhaps I
> overwrote a boot file that was created by diskpart?

Well, my recent testing was done with the simplest possible fileset -
include c: and everything below it. No exceptions.

I don't care too much for the space wasted by backing up, for example,
  pagefile.sys in my test scenario :-)

I'll re-test with a really blank (virtual) disk... done.

You're right. With a really blank disk you need to set up the master
boot record, which is is not done by diskpart or format.

Unfortunately, fixmbr is not part of a standard BartPE boot disk - I
actually don't know how I created the original partition table to be
bootable, but, thanks to Henrik, I can now point to
http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm for a tool that does all
you need :-)

>> No idea... yet.

>> I'm working on it right now...
>
> I'm sure I'll not be the only one that will be very indebted to you on that.

Don't hold your breath, but I should have something for the Wiki, for
Server 2003, in a few days. Server 2008 will follow.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann