Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-17 05:42:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:39:34 +0100
Hi,

16.02.2010 16:48, Bob Hetzel wrote:

> Last year I tried some experimentation with bare-metal restore using bacula
> and bart-pe of a Windows boot volume and I never did get it to work
> properly.  I believe there are least two pitfalls, probably more:
>
> 1) How to make it bootable?  You can restore all the important files but
> getting it to boot is another matter.

This is about Windows 2k3 -
using diskpart I never had a problem getting the system bootable.
The simple case - one partition only - is rather straightforward:
run diskpart on the recovery system, select the (only) disk to work
with, "clean", "create partition primary", "active", "assign letter=c".
Quit diskpart. Format the disk with NTFS.
Restore
Reboot
handle all the other things to be considered - typically, boot into
Directory Service Restore Mode or what that's called, apply the system
state backup you hopefully have.
You might need more reboots and more steps in between, depending on
the applications you need to handle. I don't know about IIS, but SQL
server, for example, typically also needs manual restores of data
backups and log replays.

> 2) I couldn't get far enough for this to be an issue but I believe bacula's
> handling of "Junction Points"--it gripes but doesn't back them up, will
> break many things too.  Can anybody shed light on whether these will be
> auto-created by the OS if they're missing?

No idea... yet.

> Has anybody actually documented fully the steps to get a Windows Server
> 2003 bare-metal bart-pe restore working like this?

I'm working on it right now...

> Regarding the IIS metabase, if you go into the IIS Manager app, then right
> click on Properties for the local computer, then tick the setting to
> "Enable Direct Metabase Edit" you should be able to just back up the
> metabase folder as regular files.  If you stop IIS then restore the files
> MBSchema.xml and MetaBase.xml as regular files you should be back to where
> you were with the IIS config at least.  All the web content, and CGI
> applications, and dll's is another matter, of course.

The latter would - hopefully - be handled by the normal backup and
system state backup. The Metabase... well, I don't even know what
that's good for, but seeing that you can force that to exist as
regular files is already good!

Cheers,

Arno

--