Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-16 14:51:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:49:23 +0100
Hi,

On 02/15/10 08:15 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> For such a full backup, you need some secondary windows installation
>> for the resore itself - for Server 2003 and XP, BartPE is a convenient
>> way to get such a thing. For newer Windows versions, you probably best
>> use Microsoft's PE system (I haven't actually built such a beast yet).
>
> I cant say that wont work, but I would strongly recommend not to approach
> this that way, I would put money on an installation plagued with issues.

I would not jump to that conclusion - we are currently implementing the
method outlined above and have done extensive testing on both w2k3 &
w2k8 systems and they work fine after a restore.

> Reinstall windows, reinstall apps with appropriate methods (like exchange
> cant just be re-installed new, setup needs switch's), then add in only
> applicable data. You are *will* break all sorts of things pulling the rug
> out from under complicated applications like AD/Exchange etc...

As long as you either know where every single app stores it's data or
can force a common location via a policy this is the fastest approach.

In data-centers such as ours we do not have that luxury since many
systems are administered by other parties and most of the time we do not
have any knowledge of what they deploy on their machines.

We have used software like storage craft for years to move Windows
installation from one machine to the next and have *never* had issues -
the bare metal restore that we have implemented with Bacula works rather
similar.

>> I would expect problems when, for whatever reasons, you need to
>> restore for example IIS (meta)data only, as I'm pretty sure that doing
>> this in a running windows will not result in a merge of the data in
>> the live system and the restored data, but only in an error (more
>> likely) or loss of the current data by overwriting with backed up
>> files (less likely).
>
> Yup, Metabase is involved, AFAIK it best done from a system state or using
> the provided scripts which you can script with a runbeforejob and let Bacula
> snag it after. See msdn and technet, you'll see all that's involved in that
> ugly one.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783795%28WS.10%29.aspx

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen