Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-18 03:42:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:39:55 +0100
Hi,

On 02/17/10 11:26 PM, Kevin Keane wrote:

>> -----Original Message----- From: Bob Hetzel [mailto:beh AT case DOT edu]
>> Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:30 PM To:
>> bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS
>> Windows Backups

>>> No idea... yet.
>
> Junction points are Windows equivalent of soft links. They are used
> for Side-by-side assemblies (SxS). Most people actually come across
> the same issue not because of junction points, but because the WinSxS
> directory starts filling up their hard disk. Windows XP actually also
> had junction points and WinSxS in certain cases, but with Vista,
> Microsoft rearchitected the whole operating system to rely heavily on
> SxS.
>
> Side-by-side allows you to have multiple versions of the same DLL
> installed at the same time.
>
> These junction points are not (and cannot be) auto-created, and they
> are critical to Windows Vista/2008 and later. Without the junction
> points, you basically have a huge tangle of files but not a correctly
> working operating system.

Junctions are NTFS reparse points *specifically* for linking
directories, not individual files.

 From Vista and upwards NTFS actually has support real symlinks (both
files and directories) in order to provide *some* compatability with
POSIX OS'es.

Most of the non-fatal FD errors I am seeing on W2K8 are related to
directory junctions.

> Windows is installed in the C:\Windows drive (by default).
> Traditionally, in Windows, most the files that make up Windows are
> installed into the various subdirectories - most of them into the
> well known System32. With SxS assemblies, all files are installed
> into C:\Windows\WinSxS. The junction points point to these files from
> where older versions of Windows used to have these files.
>
> When you download one of Microsoft's software updates, they get
> installed into the WinSxS directory, as well, and never overwrite
> anything. Then the respective junction points are updated. That makes
> uninstalling software updates easier.
>
> Another side effect is that you usually no longer need the Windows
> DVD to install or remove components - all files are simply copied to
> the WinSxS folder, and installing/removing features is as simple as
> adding or removing the correct junction points.
>
> But Windows probably won't even boot (I haven't tried, but that's my
> guess) without the correct junction points in place - and Windows has
> no way of knowing which ones should be in place. Worse, after a
> restore, the new correct files might be in place, but the junction
> points may still point to the old incorrect ones.

> http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1306-Demystifying-the-WinSxS-directory-in-Windows-XP,-Vista-and-Server-20032008.html
>

> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/450e0396-6ba6-4078-8ca0-b16bf4e22ccf
> (look for the post from Debbie that explains a lot)
>

>> The Metabase is windows speak for the IIS config.  Sadly, I
>> believe that's not included by default as part of the system state.
>> Ditto with the keys needed for it.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269586
>
> Be aware that this article is about Windows 2000. In Windows 2003,
> ntbackup does back up the Metabase as part of the systemstate (at
> least according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTBackup -
> I haven't tested it and couldn't find a Microsoft reference for
> that).
>
> IIS 7.0 no longer has a metabase in the first place.

Download Intel&reg; Parallel Studio Eval
> proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance. See
> why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
henrik AT scannet DOT dk