Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression

2009-07-19 10:59:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:54:35 +0100
Hi,

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Bruno Friedmann wrote:

> Most of the data are compressible ( exchange server storage, and Navision
> Database ) at a 75% rate with gzip2
> we have 78% with gzip6 but it double easyly the time need to obtain it. So
> sometime it doesn't help to try to do big compression.
>
> Is it more clear ?

Sorry, yeah I was thinking about it after and realised that I was thinking
of the wrong definition of compression ratio (ie it's how much it reduced
/by/ not /to/ so 78% is better than 72%).  My mistake.

> > Another useful feature might be a wildcard "excludefromcompression"
> > directive so you could say:

> > This might avoid wasting time trying to compress the unccompressible while
> > gaining the compression ratio on those files which gain from it?
>
> Wouah, that would be nice, is this already working with recent bacula version
> ?

Not that I've heard of.  I was just thinking out loud.

> > On the other hand, perhaps it would complicate the job or the volume layout
> > too much to mix compressed with uncompressed data?
>
> Raah your last comment tend to me to believe, bacula should be capable of
> excluding from compression.
> If it's not already asked, could you put a request for enhancement be sure I
> will vote to it.

I can.  I wonder is there someone on this list who could advise us if this
is practical though?

Gavin