Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression

2009-07-19 10:25:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:20:38 +0200
Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
>
>> Some time ago, I've made some tests on a customer site.
>> They have plenty data that could be compressed ( a 75% ratio )
>>
>> With GZIP ( which is equal to gzip default level 6 ) we loose hours of
>> compression to obtain finally only a 78% ratio
>> compared to the gzip2 I actually use.
>
> Just so I understand, are you're saying you get 78% compression with gzip6,
> but
> 75% of your data is compressible or 75% compression is possible.  Where
> does the 75% come from?

Most of the data are compressible ( exchange server storage, and Navision
Database ) at a 75% rate with gzip2
we have 78% with gzip6 but it double easyly the time need to obtain it. So
sometime it doesn't help to try to do big compression.

Is it more clear ?

>> Waht would be cool is to have multi-threaded bacula-fd using lzma
>> compression :-))
>
> Another useful feature might be a wildcard "excludefromcompression"
> directive so you could say:
>
>       excludefromcompression {
>               pattern = *.zip
>               pattern = *.gz
>               pattern = *.mp3
>               pattern = *.mpeg
>               pattern = *.flv
>       }
>
> This might avoid wasting time trying to compress the unccompressible while
> gaining the compression ratio on those files which gain from it?

Wouah, that would be nice, is this already working with recent bacula version ?

> On the other hand, perhaps it would complicate the job or the volume layout
> too much to mix compressed with uncompressed data?
>
> Gavin

Raah your last comment tend to me to believe, bacula should be capable of
excluding from compression.
If it's not already asked, could you put a request for enhancement be sure I
will vote to it.

     Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net Sàrl
  2830 Vellerat - Switzerland

  Tél : ++41 32 435 7171
  Fax : ++41 32 435 7172
  gsm : ++41 78 802 6760
  www.ioda-net.ch

 Centre de Formation et de Coaching En Ligne
 www.cfcel.com