Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression

2009-07-18 14:23:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:18:06 +0200
John Drescher wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Simone S.
> Santiago<simone AT magistrainfo.com DOT br> wrote:
>> Hey co-workers,
>>
>> I wonder if it is possible improve the Bacula compression?
>> I am using "compression = GZIP" but sometimes it compress only 15% of
>> all volume.
>>
>> Note: My backup is FILE Type.
>>
> Try:
>
> compression=GZIP9
>
> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001470000000000000000
>

> Note that this will take much longer to compress however.
>
> John

Some time ago, I've made some tests on a customer site.
They have plenty data that could be compressed ( a 75% ratio )

With GZIP ( which is equal to gzip default level 6 ) we loose hours of
compression to obtain finally only a 78% ratio
compared to the gzip2 I actually use.

Waht would be cool is to have multi-threaded bacula-fd using lzma compression
:-))

--

     Bruno Friedmann