Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression

2009-07-19 05:50:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:46:09 +0100
Hi,

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Bruno Friedmann wrote:

> Some time ago, I've made some tests on a customer site.
> They have plenty data that could be compressed ( a 75% ratio )
>
> With GZIP ( which is equal to gzip default level 6 ) we loose hours of
> compression to obtain finally only a 78% ratio
> compared to the gzip2 I actually use.

Just so I understand, are you're saying you get 78% compression with gzip6, but
75% of your data is compressible or 75% compression is possible.  Where
does the 75% come from?

> Waht would be cool is to have multi-threaded bacula-fd using lzma compression
> :-))

Another useful feature might be a wildcard "excludefromcompression"
directive so you could say:

        excludefromcompression {
                pattern = *.zip
                pattern = *.gz
                pattern = *.mp3
                pattern = *.mpeg
                pattern = *.flv
        }

This might avoid wasting time trying to compress the unccompressible while
gaining the compression ratio on those files which gain from it?

On the other hand, perhaps it would complicate the job or the volume layout
too much to mix compressed with uncompressed data?

Gavin