Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?

2009-07-16 10:23:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 05:39:29 -0700
Marcin Radczuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying use bacula more than a month. I have more than 2000 hosts to
> backup. We want to do everyday backup. One Full backup per month and
> Incrementals every other day. Now I have 10 bacula-sd and one bacula-dir
> and I was add only 300 hosts to schedule. I automated hosts add to
> bacula-dir, and I have one config file per host. Every host have his own
> Job, Pool and Fileset in his config. Problem is that bacula can do one
> backup per bacula-sd. I use Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 900 but I have one
> Pool per host and bacula can't run another job on bacula-sd if other job
> is running. Is that mean that I must do one pool per sd? We use Linux
> machine (Debian Eatch/Lenny) on SD, FD and DIR. How can I boost bacula
> performance?

I would be concerned about quite a few bottlenecks before the
concurrency even comes into play.

How much data do you want to back up for each client? 10 GB or so - that
would be a smallish Windows installation? With 2000 hosts, the full
backups amount to 20 TB.

Over a gigabit network, transferring that much data from the FDs to the
SDs will saturate your network for 66 hours or so per month just for the
full backups. Of course, if your SDs are carefully spread out throughout
the network, this may not be an issue.

If you manage to saturate the network with your backup traffic, you may
also run into bandwidth issues on your backup devices.

As others have pointed out, the database inserts will also take a lot of
time.

Between these three things, slowing down your backups may actually be a
good thing. On the flip side, there may not be enough time in the month
to complete all full backups.

Finally, you may also run into the issue that restoring a backup may
take unacceptably long due to the database size and all the other
activity going on in your system.

Of course, if you are not actually backing up the Windows image, just
documents, my calculation could be completely different.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.