Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?

2009-07-16 07:22:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Marcin Radczuk" <m.radczuk AT gadu-gadu DOT pl>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:56:32 +1000
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying use bacula more than a month. I have more than 2000 hosts
> backup. We want to do everyday backup. One Full backup per month and
> Incrementals every other day. Now I have 10 bacula-sd and one
bacula-dir
> and I was add only 300 hosts to schedule. I automated hosts add to
> bacula-dir, and I have one config file per host. Every host have his
own
> Job, Pool and Fileset in his config. Problem is that bacula can do one
> backup per bacula-sd. I use Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 900 but I have
one
> Pool per host and bacula can't run another job on bacula-sd if other
job
> is running. Is that mean that I must do one pool per sd? We use Linux
> machine (Debian Eatch/Lenny) on SD, FD and DIR. How can I boost bacula
> performance?

I define a different storage per host (same SD but different storage
definition, in a different directory - I'm backing up to disk on this
system) and it works really well.

You may not want 900 jobs running at once, unless the SD has really fast
media and the network connection to each client is slow.

James