Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?

2009-07-16 11:52:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?
From: mradczuk <m.radczuk AT gadu-gadu DOT pl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin Keane-2 wrote:

> Marcin Radczuk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying use bacula more than a month. I have more than 2000 hosts to
>> backup. We want to do everyday backup. One Full backup per month and
>> Incrementals every other day. Now I have 10 bacula-sd and one bacula-dir
>> and I was add only 300 hosts to schedule. I automated hosts add to
>> bacula-dir, and I have one config file per host. Every host have his own
>> Job, Pool and Fileset in his config. Problem is that bacula can do one
>> backup per bacula-sd. I use Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 900 but I have one
>> Pool per host and bacula can't run another job on bacula-sd if other job
>> is running. Is that mean that I must do one pool per sd? We use Linux
>> machine (Debian Eatch/Lenny) on SD, FD and DIR. How can I boost bacula
>> performance?
>>
> I would be concerned about quite a few bottlenecks before the
> concurrency even comes into play.
>
> How much data do you want to back up for each client? 10 GB or so - that
> would be a smallish Windows installation? With 2000 hosts, the full
> backups amount to 20 TB.
>
> Over a gigabit network, transferring that much data from the FDs to the
> SDs will saturate your network for 66 hours or so per month just for the
> full backups. Of course, if your SDs are carefully spread out throughout
> the network, this may not be an issue.
>
> If you manage to saturate the network with your backup traffic, you may
> also run into bandwidth issues on your backup devices.
>
> As others have pointed out, the database inserts will also take a lot of
> time.
>
> Between these three things, slowing down your backups may actually be a
> good thing. On the flip side, there may not be enough time in the month
> to complete all full backups.
>
> Finally, you may also run into the issue that restoring a backup may
> take unacceptably long due to the database size and all the other
> activity going on in your system.
>
> Of course, if you are not actually backing up the Windows image, just
> documents, my calculation could be completely different.
>
> --
> Kevin Keane
> Owner
> The NetTech
> Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think
> About
>
> Office: 866-642-7116
> http://www.4nettech.com
>
> This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
> proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
> disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information
> herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above.
> If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
> immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or
> attachments thereof.

Thanks, I'm buck up a Linux systems. No Windows. Some systems have only
1-2GB but some of them have much more (200-500GB). The storage space is not
a problem. Problem may be a disk speed. I will check DB performance and see
it will be enough or not. If it will be necessary I will run backup process
all day and night.

I can't use multiple Device definition because of restore problems. That is
why I will use more bacula-sd processes on one machine. This give me more
jobs doing at the same time. I'm worried of DB performance now.

Regards