Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?

2009-06-26 11:57:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?
From: terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 01:51:54 +1000
Silver Salonen wrote:

> Um.. we have different basics of our discussion - you use tapes, I use disks,
> so I expect Bacula to handle volumes and pools differently than in your case.

Irelevant, really. If you are running a backup system, you essentially
handle them the same way; as rotated recepticals for data.

The only real difference with a hard disk is that you no longer have
media that has to be accessed sequentially. This can lead to a big time
bomb when people treat something like a 1TB hard disk as an unlimited
pool and just write successive volumes, each containing a job, into/onto
it. (A pre-job script could delete files(/volumes/jobs) older than X
days to match catalog trimming).

The trap is that unless you rotate a number of these 1TB disks,
eventually it goes ting, ting, or thunk,thunk or grind, grind and all
your data goes to bit heaven.

It is the system that matters, not the media. Bacula is a tool, not a
compulsion.