Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?

2009-06-26 03:54:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?
From: terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:50:23 +1000
Silver Salonen wrote:
>>> I meant the configuration limit - that I can't configure one device to
> accept
>>> multiple jobs concurrently.
>>>
>> I do this every single day at home. 5 jobs concurrently write to the
>> same exact volume.
>
> My original claim was made in the context of disk-based backups (ie. multiple
> pools as I explained in the same message). Using the same exact volume (or
> pool) with disk-based backup-system is quite a big limitation to my mind.

Umm, a Volume is not a pool. A pool is a collection of volumes.

I suspect you have a different idea of what a "backup system" consists
of, as per your GFS post.

The technology doesn't define the definition of a backup system. So it
doesn't matter whether you use tapes, hard disks, floppies, CDs/DVDs,
optical media or whatever. It is how the media is stored and handled
that makes it such.

The problem is that we are currently enjoying a period of relatively
cheap (and nasty) hard disks and there are a lot of people suffering
from "RAID Marketing" who now think keeping a copy on another hard disk,
or two, somewhere is somehow a backup system.

Basically, if you want to a proper backup system, it  involves buying
adequate media(hard disks) of SIZE** and number.

** I mentione size because my part backups could fit onto a DC1000 (aka
1Gb tape), whereas the full of all clients take 160Gb. So it is
ludicrous that the part backups are being dumped to tapes up to 40Gb in
size.