Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backups to one volume?

2009-06-25 21:26:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backups to one volume?
From: terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:44:57 +1000
Attila Fülöp wrote:
> Andreas Schuldei wrote:
>> hi!
>>
>> reading the documentation i understand that you should have several
>> volumes for concurrent backups, on different devices/directories. (i
>> work on disk for now.)
>>
>> However some people here on the list seem to be doing well with
>> concurrent backups to only one volume. is that actually true or am i
>> misunderstanding something?

Yes. The hard part is getting it configured in ALL the needed places.
anything up to four places in a couple of file (dir & Sd) and in the
client) as well.

The line is
maximum concurrent jobs = N       where N= number you want.

Note, there are some default settings in SD & FD that allow for ten(?)
and only require a DIR change to work.

Caution; do not run any other job at the same time as catalog dumps
(full catalog)

> This is true, we use such a setup with tape based volumes. The point is
> that you should use spooling to disk in such a case to avoid interleaving
> of the jobs on tape.

AFAIUI, if the jobs is smaller than the spool size, then the jobs will
not be interleaved. If the job is larger than the spool size, then
segments will be interleaved with other running jobs.