Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backups to one volume?

2009-06-25 16:55:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backups to one volume?
From: user100 <user100 AT lisec-sw DOT com>
To: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:56:47 +0200
  On 25.06.2009 14:10, Silver Salonen wrote:
> On Thursday 25 June 2009 13:42:30 Andreas Schuldei wrote:
>> hi!
>>
>> reading the documentation i understand that you should have several
>> volumes for concurrent backups, on different devices/directories. (i
>> work on disk for now.)
>>
>> However some people here on the list seem to be doing well with
>> concurrent backups to only one volume. is that actually true or am i
>> misunderstanding something?
>>
>> if so, how do i do that? i would like a reciept for that. what bacula
>> version is required for that?
>>
>> /andreas
> Hello.
>
> As one device supports only one job, you have to create separate devices for
> each job you want to be able to run concurrently.

I´m not sure if you are talking about the same thing, but how should it
possible to get interleaved volume blocks (where bacula must sort and
take longer) if you never write to the same device (with or without
spooling)? Quote from the current bacula-manual:

"The Volume format becomes more complicated with multiple simultaneous
jobs, consequently, restores may take longer if Bacula must sort through
interleaved volume blocks from multiple simultaneous jobs. This can be
avoided by having each simultaneous job write to a different volume or
by using data spooling, which will first spool the data to disk
simultaneously, then write one spool file at a time to the volume thus
avoiding excessive interleaving of the different job blocks."

Previous to 3.x I run concurrent jobs and have just one device (a
tapedrive in an autoloader) but a huge disk-space for spooling. And it
worked well. However I (and I´m not the only one) got troubles with
concurrent jobs on 3.x now (files mismatch). I´m sure I can avoid that
by using different backup devices but I just have one tapedrive built in
the loader so I would not do that.

Greetings,
user100