Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backups to one volume?

2009-06-25 10:25:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backups to one volume?
From: Attila Fülöp <lichtscheu AT gesindel DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:19:31 +0200
Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> hi!
>
> reading the documentation i understand that you should have several
> volumes for concurrent backups, on different devices/directories. (i
> work on disk for now.)
>
> However some people here on the list seem to be doing well with
> concurrent backups to only one volume. is that actually true or am i
> misunderstanding something?

This is true, we use such a setup with tape based volumes. The point is
that you should use spooling to disk in such a case to avoid interleaving
of the jobs on tape. This is reported to prolong restore times. Since our
clients cannot saturate our LTO drive we would need spooling anyhow and
never tried without.

Not sure if spooling would also be needed for disk based volumes though.

> if so, how do i do that? i would like a reciept for that.

Please search the list, this was discussed several times. It involves
adding MaximumConcurrentJobs directives in several places.

> what bacula version is required for that?

Any not too ancient bacula version should do. We are using 2.2.8

Attila