Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?

2009-06-25 11:34:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?
From: Christian Gaul <christian.gaul AT otop DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:28:28 +0200
Silver Salonen schrieb:
> PS. The limit to be able to write only one job to one disk-based device has
> been a bizzare limit that just complicates the configuration, I still don't
> understand why we have this limit in disk-based backups (the claim "Bacula
> uses disks as tapes" is just as bizzare).

I seem to be writing to disk based volumes just fine with multiple (5+)
concurrent jobs.

Maybe i am misunderstanding something, but the problem isnt N jobs to 1
(disk based) volume, it is 1-N jobs to M (>1) volumes at the same time
which doesnt work.

Also, one pool can only use one volume at one time for one job, and one
job can only use one SD at one time,  so that might limit you too.

Concurrent jobs (except for me currently, and only to tape) work quite
nice. I personally opted to use spooling, in order to not have jobs
interleaved on tape.

But speaking of configuration complication, for me it complicates things
that valid jobs (for comparing with Full, Diffs and Incrementals) are
generated out of {Client,Fileset}and there is no way to tell it to use
{Client,Fileset,Storage} or {Client,Fileset,Pool}.. for creating offsite
backups i basically keep 2 identical filesets for every class of client
because i want / need two unrelated backups on 2 different media types
(no, copy jobs wont do because they are 2 different SDs)..

Anyways, i am rambling, but multiple concurrent jobs to one disk volume
work fine, as long as your jobs use the same pool and are allowed to use
the same volume. If you try to use different pools ( -> different
volumes) for different jobs, then yes, they will wait till the SD can
mount a volume in the second pool.

--
Christian Gaul
otop AG

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Christof Glasmacher
Vorstand: Dirk Flug
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mainz
Handelsregister: HRB 7647