Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS snapshot errors

2009-05-13 22:13:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS snapshot errors
From: Ivan Adzhubey <iadzhubey AT rics.bwh.harvard DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 22:06:58 -0400
Hi James,

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 07:38:37 pm James Harper wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestions, you were right (scroll down).
> > > drive "d:\" failed. VSS support is disabled on this drive.
> > >
> > > Is the Volume Shadow Copy service enabled (set to manual)?
> >
> > This was it, VSS service was set to Manual and not running. I've set
>
> it to Auto, is it right thing to do?
>
> Manual is correct, Windows just starts the service when it needs it. I'm
> not sure if setting it to Auto will have any negative effect but it
> should be Manual.

Run another backup today after manually starting VSS service and still getting
the same errors. Guess it's time to search Microsoft Knowledge Base...

> > > Run vssadmin at a command prompt - what does it say?
> > >
> > > Are you definitely using NTFS and not FAT or anything?
> >
> > It's NTFS. I do not understand why I've never encountered this problem
>
> before. The user told me he did not change any defaults while installing
> WinXP.
>
> > Perhaps, SP3 had the defaults changed for VSS service. I am not an
>
> expert in
>
> > Windows administration I should admit...
>
> SP3 shouldn't have changed anything.
>
> Any messages in the event logs?

On Windows computer? I have no idea where to look for events log. Frankly, I
haven't booted Windows a single time for the last 3 years (neither I was
exactly a Windows user before that). I guess this discussion is veering off
topic so I would rather try to investigate the issue myself before proceeding
with more questions. Just was surprised to receive this error, VSS always
worked smooth for me...

--Ivan