Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] bacula.db missing

2009-04-15 07:36:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] bacula.db missing
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:31:45 +0200
On Wednesday 15 April 2009 12:16:04 Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I forward this to the -devel list, reply-to set to -users.
>
> 15.04.2009 11:49, Chandranshu . wrote:
> > Hi Craig,
> >
> > I was already using the -d100 flag :)
> >
> > However, this time I took a more radical approach and modified the code
> > in src/cats/mysql.c to print the error message returned by
> > mysql_error(). Then, I compiled and ran the code to see the most dubious
> > error in my DBA career:
> > Error 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> >
> > To my utter surprise, someone had changed the /etc/my.cnf file to use
> > /tmp/mysql.sock as the socket file. I reverted the socket file and
> > everything was back on track immediately.
> >
> > However, even at a debug level of 100, I was not getting the exact
> > reason behind mysql connection failure. The code in mysql.c should print
> > the mysql_error(), mysql_errno() and mysql_sqlstate() values at a much
> > lower level once the connection couldn't be established. I think, this
> > should be filed as a bug.

No, this is not a bug (at least not for us).  This is a "feature request" or
an enhancement of the current code.

> Can you submit your changes as a patch?

Yes, if it is something that *should* print, then we will need a patch.

> I assume this could go into the main line code quickly and without
> much discussion. Kern?

Yes, I would like to see the code before making any definitive statement.
Generally any amount of debug code is appreciated, though we would probably
put something volumous or something a bit unlikely on a debug of 400 or
greater.  Debug of 100 is a *very* small number for Bacula.  Virtually
nothing is less than 100 except debug code for sockets which is at 50 and
possibly some debug code a developer was using and forgot to increase to more
than 100 ...

Regards,

Kern