Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bulk] Re: thannyd earthlink.net

2009-04-07 16:25:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bulk] Re: thannyd earthlink.net
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:19:54 -0400

Foo wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:44:26 +0200, James Harper
> <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au> wrote:
>
>> Mike Holden writes:

>>> You may see it as "standard" practice, but it's certainly not encouraged
>>> practice, and probably only a handful of users do it that way (i.e.
>>> wrongly). Some people lazily hit "reply all" and don't bother to check
>>> what they are doing. I admit I've done it myself on occasion, either
>>> through haste or forgetfulness or distraction, but I do at least __try__
>>> to do it properly!
>
> Couldn't agree more.
>

>> I hit reply-all all the time. What MTA are you using that can't sort out
>> duplicates for you?
>
> The exact same complaint that Dan made (don't make your spam problem our
> spam problem) could be levelled at anyone advocating using a specific MTA
> or alternative mail service to fix duplicate replies: don't make your
> (personal) list practice our duplicate mail problem. At least do it as an
> exception, not as a rule.

Regardless of the personal religious views, I wish to point out this
user-configurable mailing list option:

###
Avoid duplicate copies of messages?

When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list
message, you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing list.
Select Yes to avoid receiving copies from the mailing list; select No to
receive copies.

If the list has member personalized messages enabled, and you elect to
receive copies, every copy will have a X-Mailman-Copy: yes header added
to it.
###

This can be set by each user, on a list by list basis, or applied
globally to all Bacula lists.

Visit the mailing list URL at the end of each mailing list post to set
this.  See the bottom of the page:

###
To unsubscribe from Bacula-devel, get a password reminder, or change
your subscription options enter your subscription email address:
###

- --
Dan Langille