Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] thannyd earthlink.net

2009-04-07 06:35:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] thannyd earthlink.net
From: "Mike Holden" <bacula AT mikeholden DOT org>
To: "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:30:38 +0100 (BST)
James Harper wrote:
>> Dan Langille wrote:
>> > This is standard practice on this list.  If you wish to participate,
>> > please ensure you account for this practice.
>>
>> You may see it as "standard" practice, but it's certainly not
> encouraged
>> practice, and probably only a handful of users do it that way (i.e.
>> wrongly). Some people lazily hit "reply all" and don't bother to check
>> what they are doing. I admit I've done it myself on occasion, either
>> through haste or forgetfulness or distraction, but I do at least
> __try__
>> to do it properly!
>>

> I hit reply-all all the time. What MTA are you using that can't sort out
> duplicates for you?

I see you hit Reply All then, just to prove the point :-)

I also see that you use an email program that can't sort out quotes and
attributions correctly (I'm not attributed above, and one line of my text
is wrongly quoted with a single arrow rather than 2) :-)

My MTA (postfix) does sort out duplicates.

By using reply all, you are sending 2 messages over the internet rather
than one, which is just as bad as sending html email or sending spam? :-)

> The reason I use reply-all is that the sender is not necessarily going
> to receive a copy in their inbox otherwise. They may be subscribed in
> 'digest' mode, or may have their subscription configured to not receive
> a copy at all, which allows them to post and then read the messages via
> the archives. I imagine that wouldn't be an uncommon configuration
> either - say you were responsible for a server running Xen, also running
> Debian, using Bacula for backups, Apache as a web server, MySQL as a
> database, and PHP as a scripting engine, and occasionally asked
> questions on those mailing lists when the need arose. You'd spend half
> of your day just processing email if you actually received all of those
> lists into your inbox!

If someone subscribes to a mailing list and sends a mail they want to see
a reply to, then it's up to them to ensure that they have a setup that
allows them to see those replies, surely. It's not MY responsibility you
ensure that YOU receive my email, it's yours.

--
Mike Holden