Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] thannyd earthlink.net

2009-04-06 12:37:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] thannyd earthlink.net
From: "Mike Holden" <bacula AT mikeholden DOT org>
To: "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:33:50 +0100 (BST)
Eric J. Wisti wrote:

> That still doesn't make the "Please verify" messages any more friendly.
> What if someone forges my email address and sends you a spam. I get a
> "Please verify" message, but I had nothing to do with the email that was
> sent, other than being a victim of an email forgery. Now, I also get a
> nice "Please Verify" message. These systems may have been a ok workaround
> before, but now that spam is some 94% of email is spam, all it does is
> increase the amount of "spam", and involve people who may not even be
> connected with the emails you receive.

Welcome to the 2009 internet mate! We're all fed up of spam, but until the
ISPs get their fingers out collectively and block junk at source, we're
stuck with it.

If someone forges your email address to send spam, then you will still get
any bounces back anyway if the victim email addresses fail (unknown email
address, quota exceeded etc). A fair percentage of the spam I receive is
bounce messages from spam sent "on my behalf" (i.e. spoofed From address)
to invalid email addresses.

Not a lot I can do about it, unfortunately. I do try to not lose sleep
about it though :-)
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts