Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] thannyd earthlink.net

2009-04-06 13:20:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] thannyd earthlink.net
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 13:16:03 -0400

Mike Holden wrote:
> Eric J. Wisti wrote:
>
>> That still doesn't make the "Please verify" messages any more friendly.
>> What if someone forges my email address and sends you a spam. I get a
>> "Please verify" message, but I had nothing to do with the email that was
>> sent, other than being a victim of an email forgery. Now, I also get a
>> nice "Please Verify" message. These systems may have been a ok workaround
>> before, but now that spam is some 94% of email is spam, all it does is
>> increase the amount of "spam", and involve people who may not even be
>> connected with the emails you receive.
>>

> Welcome to the 2009 internet mate! We're all fed up of spam, but until the
> ISPs get their fingers out collectively and block junk at source, we're
> stuck with it.
>
> If someone forges your email address to send spam, then you will still get
> any bounces back anyway if the victim email addresses fail (unknown email
> address, quota exceeded etc). A fair percentage of the spam I receive is
> bounce messages from spam sent "on my behalf" (i.e. spoofed From address)
> to invalid email addresses.

I grant you that a lot of improperly configured mail servers will create
such bounce back. However, a properly configured mail server won't
accept that email in the first place. It will get a message back to the
connecting "server" indicating "unknown email address" or whatever,
rather than accept the message and end up having to reply back to a
potentially forged return address.

A fairly old known attack method is to identify a pool of such
misconfigured mail servers and then bomb them all with a forged return
address of the person you want to hit with a DOS. It's called "joe
jobbing" someone -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job.

> Not a lot I can do about it, unfortunately. I do try to not lose sleep
> about it though :-)

In general, true. But, for those of you who manage mail servers, make
sure they don't create backscatter. And, if your ISP has a mail server
that does this, give them a hard time. It might have a small impact.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator