Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migration from Arkeia, Other Questions

2008-05-01 19:39:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migration from Arkeia, Other Questions
From: "Thomas Krwawecz III" <tom AT bluegravity DOT com>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 19:39:26 -0400
> With spooling, The answer is no. I limit my spool size to 2 to 5 G but
> others limit it to much larger. I know Arno does uses a much larger
> spool file that approximates the size of the tape.
>
>> Or do I need to have each job
>>  write to a new volume (in the same pool) with "Use Volume Once = yes",
>> or
>>  "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1"? That doesn't seem to be efficient though. I'd
>>  expect some option to "write job to a unique volume, but once that job
>> is
>>  done, another job can append" (to eliminate the interleaved volume
>> blocks
>>  issue with simultaneous jobs writing). If we're trying to keep the total
>>  space used by a pool to 3 TB max, it doesn't seem efficient to use one
>> job
>>  per volume if the volume can't fill up. Recycling by max # of volumes
>> won't
>>  work (use space efficiently/keep as much data as possible) if the
>> volumes
>>  aren't full. And from what I can tell there's no "max pool size" option.
>>
>>  Anyone follow?
>>

> Yes, I follow. I could go into more detail but this has been discussed
> on the list dozens of times. Please check the archives for the pros
> and cons of all of these methods...

This is driving me crazy (searching mailing list archives). There doesn't
seem to be a clear cut answer - or I'm looking for the wrong thing. I just
don't see why disk based backups need to be spooled, when that IO could be
used for additional simultaneous jobs. I'm looking to run 10-20+ jobs
concurrently, without setting up 10-20 devices and 10-20 pools (as I
understand things need to be done). It's  basically 1 device/pool/volume per
job? 10 concurrent jobs, 10 devices - if you don't want spooling or sloppy
volume writing? Seems like there would be a much easier way. Am I missing
something?

Sorry for all the questions but this part isn't clicking. And apparently I'm
not the only one considering the activity on this topic.

Thomas Krwawecz III
--
Blue Gravity Communications, Inc.
3495 Haddonfield Rd, Suite 6

Toll Free: 1-877-8 HOSTING
Tel: (856) 662-9100, Fax: (856) 662-9101
Web: http://www.bluegravity.com