Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migration from Arkeia, Other Questions

2008-05-05 04:02:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migration from Arkeia, Other Questions
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 10:02:06 +0200
Hi,

03.05.2008 20:04, Thomas Krwawecz III wrote:
> Which I'm not doing, but this still makes no sense to me. I can't seem to
> understand how things are tied together when using disk only backups. All
> I'm trying to do is concurrent backups, with one pool, without having
> multiple clients writing to the same file as recommended, and without a
> device/drive for every single client.

I I follow your requirements, you can't have all of these without
spooling.

> Spooling seems like a waste of IO.

Well, it might seem so, but if it really is would need to be
determined by some tests. At least with network backups, throughput is
most often limited by the network link, so "wasting" a bit of I/O by
spooling shouldn't matter if it allows you to run all your jobs in
your backup window.

> Which leaves me with the autochanger as an only solution. Unfortuantely, I
> can't find any good examples of someone getting this working on DISK. The
> "vchanger"
> script apparently uses slot names which don't match up to the volumes
> written
> to disk.

Well, I never used disk based fake autochangers, but from what I read
here, and from reading the script Kern used, I get the impression that
it's not overly complicated.

> And I'm certain if I had a good overview of how everything works
> together
> I could write a Perl script to what's needed.

Perl, shell... whatever you prefer :-)

The things you need to know are basically
- the API to the changer script. Simple and strictly defined: Commands
like load, unload and list.
- The volumes are files somewhere
- The slots, for disk based volumes, are not more than files with the
expected name in the correct location. Can be done by mv'in or soft
linking.
- Some bookkeeping inside the changer script to keep track of which
volume is mounted where. The scripts I know use simple text files.

You might try the current svn version of the disk-changer script as a
starting point:
http://bacula.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/bacula/trunk/bacula/scripts/disk-changer.in?revision=6881&view=markup&sortdir=down

> Anyone know of specific threads that cover these things? I've spent 4 days
> on this
> and need backups ASAP.

Needing something ASAP is usually a problem :-)

After thinking and implementing there still is the testing phase
before you can rely on things...

> Or, if someone wants to help me I can send $$

Sure, send them ;-)

Seriously - if you want commercial support I'm surely willing to work
for you. But I suspect that someone from the US might be more
convenient - the money transfer alone is a pain in the a...

In any case, be prepared to spend some more days on this - what you
requires seems to be a bit uncommon, so whoever helps you will need
some time for testing his solution.

> immediately.
> I'm beyond frustrated.

No need for that.

What I would do in your place is set up a rather simplified version of
what you need - simple disk based volumes, concurreny, and spooling.

Observe how that works. Make sure you can operate Bacula through
bconsole and bat.

Add clients and jobs as needed.

In the meantime, have someone develop and test a virtual autochanger
with multiple drives.

If the development is finished, implementing that should be easily
done as you can re-use your volumes and will only need to define e new
storage device in the SD.

Hope this gets you going,

Arno

> Thomas Krwawecz III
> --
> Blue Gravity Communications, Inc.
> 3495 Haddonfield Rd, Suite 6
> Pennsauken, NJ 08109
>
> Toll Free: 1-877-8 HOSTING
> Tel: (856) 662-9100, Fax: (856) 662-9101
> Web: http://www.bluegravity.com

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de