Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migration from Arkeia, Other Questions

2008-05-01 10:38:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migration from Arkeia, Other Questions
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: "Thomas Krwawecz III" <tom AT bluegravity DOT com>, Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 10:38:27 -0400
Thomas,

As others have suggested, you'll should probably use spooling, unless
you're doing disk based backups. But if your spool directory is located
on a busy disk (such as where the database lives, or temp stuff for the
database) you may not help things.  In my case, to get spooling to work
well I needed to create a raid-0 stripe set both to get enough clients
spooling at the same time and to keep pace with my two LTO-2 tape
drives.  In my case my raid-0 set is four 146 GB SAS 10,000 rpm drives.
  I can do 8 concurrent backups pretty well.  The clients are all
desktops and laptops so they can't go anywhere near as fast as my tape
drive, hence another reason to do spooling.

The speed you get will depend heavily on the hardware involved.  If the
clients have slow CPU or disk drives, filesystems with a million small
files (i.e. a mail or web server) will go very slow.  Check the CPU load
  on the clients being backed up. If they're pegged at 100%, then
perhaps that's your bottleneck.  Likewise with the bacula server.  As I
type this e-mail, my two socket dual core xeon 5160 backup server has
load (from the uptime or top command) running between 9 and 10 which is
rather high but since it's dedicated to backups that's ok.

Bacula's handling of many small files on my web server has shown an
improvement over Veritas Backup Exec (v. 9.1) for me, but Backup Exec
doesn't do spooling or concurrency in that version.  However I believe I
saw an improvement even without spooling/concurrency turned on.

In short, pretty much any solution is going to cost some money to do
well.  Even if you avoid the high license fees by going open source
you'll find that the superior algorithms in bacula can't get around
inadequacies of all the hardware involved (if any).  Unfortunately, that
means that to compare performance of bacula with other systems you have
to fully implement it.