BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 504 Gateway Time-out on Backuppc web interface

2014-09-07 11:41:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 504 Gateway Time-out on Backuppc web interface
From: Tom Fallon <tom.r.fallon AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 16:36:44 +0100
Not sure if this will add to the same thread or create a new one so just
to recap.

On one of our backuppc servers the Web GUI has been failing to launch
with a 504 Gateway timeout error showing up.

One responder asked if backuppc service was running which I checked with

pgrep backuppc

this showed nothing initially but then realised the process is listed as
BackupPC not all lower case.

On trying service backuppc restart I get this response

:~$ sudo service backuppc restart
  * Restarting
backuppc...                                                       No
process in pidfile '/var/run/backuppc/BackupPC.pid' found running; none
killed.

If I then run pgrep BackupPC the number of pids has incremented by 1....

Running ps -ef | grep BackupPC shows these pids are all as follows:

backuppc 20340     1  0 14:58 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC -d

Just to test things I tried killing all the running BackupPC PIDs and
when all done I could then access the web interface but got error:

Error: Unable to connect to BackupPC Server
This CGI Script (/backuppc/index.cgi) is unable to connect to the
BackupPC server on <myservername> port -1.
Perhaps the BackupPC server is not running or there is a configuration
error. Please report this to your Sys Admin.

On running service backuppc start I can no longer connect to the web GUI
at all.

This is all on Ubuntu 12.04 server identical in every other way to 2
other working BackupPC Servers in production.

Only change of any note was to remove a host which no longer needs
backed up from both /etc/backuppc/hosts, the config file for that host
from /etc/backuppc and from /var/lib/backuppc/pc/.

I've compared settings between the problem server and 2 working ones and
can see no differnence between them in either config file content or the
permissions on those files. At a loss as to how apparently running the
backuppc service blocks access to the web interface.

I've been googling this issue for a few days now and come up with nada
so anyone else out there with suggestions is welcome to chime in.

cheers.