BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools

2013-03-15 17:02:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools
From: A Braxis <abebraxis AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:00:51 -0400
I'm not sure all of this is warranted.

I haven't tried the code, but looked at the patch over dinner and his changes in Lib.pm are in a place such that dumps and restores should use them just fine. I think Steven's taken care of the helper utilities that doesn't use Lib.pm too. The premise is sound. And I don't see any see any reason it shouldn't work.

I'm not sure if curious enough to test the changes, but I don't think it's fair of Holger to try to silence him.

Abe.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2013-03-15 10:47:34 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools]:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com> wrote:
>
> >> I for one can't imagine why he wouldn't come here with his problems. After
> >> all, he received such a warm reception this time. ;-D

that's not the point. This is the *BackupPC users* list, not the
I-applied-a-wild-hack-against-your-advice-so-please-help-me-now list.
There would appear to be somewhat of a consensus that we don't like the
idea, so why would we help with something that is clearly no longer a
BackupPC matter?

> > I am also not happy with the snarky responses lately. "I don't understand
> > why you are doing this, but I'll judge you for it." "I didn't read your
> > patch, but here's why it can't possibly work, or will set your head on
> > fire, or will become a time bomb you should vaguely fear."
>
> Note that those came _after_ the OP asked for advice, got it, and then
> complained that he didn't like it...

Yes, but sometimes they come earlier, especially when a stupid question is
asked via Backup Central, or rather, when a question is asked in a stupid way.
That was not the case here, clearly.

I must remark, though, that the OP is potentially doing great harm and
*ignoring hints to stop it*, so I'm extremely likely to get unfriendly towards
the end of this post.

> > I'm here because I'm a BackupPC user and I want to both learn and help
> > others.

Right, and that includes people just reading this list or possibly only single
posts they find via google. "Hey, I always wanted to split up my pool, because
it doesn't fit on a single disk. Look, here's a patch that does that. Let's
try it out."

> > I hope the rest of you feel the same. Even if you can't imagine
> > someone's use case, and even if you disagree with it, there is no cause for
> > incivility.

I can imagine the use case, and I tried suggesting alternatives (as did
others). The response was "I've already considered everything else and ruled
it out". So, he doesn't want advice. Then again, he's asking for it. That is
simply irritating.

> It isn't a matter of not imagining this use case - it is going beyond
> and imagining if  something goes wrong, or if you had to take over as
> a replacement sysadmin where someone had made one-off changes like
> that and even if they work you won't be able to get any help
> understanding or maintaining them.

Yes, and there is no indication the OP has thought about that. There's only "I
know what I'm doing, trust me" type of statements. Still, it's not our
problem. It's well meant but unwanted advice.

> But, it doesn't pay to be thin-skinned or to take technical advice
> personally in this business.

Right. You're talking to coders, not diplomats. If you prefer diplomatic
advice to technically sound advice, then that's perfectly ok, but this is
simply the wrong place.

Stephen Joyce wrote on 2013-03-15 12:34:24 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools]:
> V2 of the patch (unified, per request, even though there is no real
> standard for diff/patch) attached, if anyone cares.

Let me be very clear. I URGE YOU TO NEVER AGAIN POST POTENTIALLY HARMFUL CODE
ON THIS LIST. Ok?
Your code is of interest to *noone* except yourself. If someone should really
happen to have a similar problem and seek a similar solution, then he can ask.
I'm quite sure he will be pointed to you (if he will not be discouraged), and
then you can explain to him the prerequisites your code requires, which I
somewhat doubt are documented. No, that's not a request for V3 with included
documentation.

Regards,
Holger