BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools

2013-03-15 13:12:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:10:47 -0400
Adam Goryachev wrote at about 02:45:51 +1100 on Saturday, March 16, 2013:
 > PS, just for the record, I also think it's not the best path, custom
 > versions of software always lead to pain (in my experience), so unless
 > there is some major commercial advantage, then I steer clear. If it is
 > really a great idea, then get the patch accepted upstream (eg, like the
 > last useful patch for the FTP backup method).

Adam makes a very valid point... which I take to heart
personally.

While I may have contributed literally thousands of lines of code for
BackupPC utilities, I have been extremely conservative in modifying
the core code for precisely the reasons Adam mentions. Even when I
have found bugs in the code, I often hesitate to patch them on my
personal version unless the bug is something that is capable of
affecting me. Even after 5 years of BackupPC hacking, I carry only 2
patches in my stock 3.2.0 code -- one allows me to automount the
BackupPC volume if it is not previously mounted (to prevent it from
either failing on startup or from writing to the wrong place) and one
that fixes a documented (but always broken) feature to execute perl
code in the pre dump command... all this despite having many ideas for
"cool" new features and extensions...