BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools

2013-03-15 11:48:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:47:34 -0500
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
wrote:

>> I for one can't imagine why he wouldn't come here with his problems. After
>> all, he received such a warm reception this time. ;-D
>
> I am also not happy with the snarky responses lately. "I don't understand
> why you are doing this, but I'll judge you for it." "I didn't read your
> patch, but here's why it can't possibly work, or will set your head on
> fire, or will become a time bomb you should vaguely fear."

Note that those came _after_ the OP asked for advice, got it, and then
complained that he didn't like it...

> I'm here because I'm a BackupPC user and I want to both learn and help
> others. I hope the rest of you feel the same. Even if you can't imagine
> someone's use case, and even if you disagree with it, there is no cause for
> incivility.

The responses might have gone over the top, but there are good reasons
to discuss the philosophy behind wanting to do something a system was
not designed to do.    This change might help some organization avoid
working out proper accounting processes and maybe even temporarily
save a few dollars in hardware.  But the experience here says that
changing complex code requires extensive testing before trusting it.
It isn't a matter of not imagining this use case - it is going beyond
and imagining if  something goes wrong, or if you had to take over as
a replacement sysadmin where someone had made one-off changes like
that and even if they work you won't be able to get any help
understanding or maintaining them.

But, it doesn't pay to be thin-skinned or to take technical advice
personally in this business.  I'm sure that if there are more
questions on this topic there will be answers - but they will continue
to match the experience of the person posting it.