BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools

2013-03-15 12:13:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 02:45:51 +1100
On 16/03/13 02:27, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> On 2013-03-15 12:08, A Braxis wrote:
>> I for one can't imagine why he wouldn't come here with his problems. After
>> all, he received such a warm reception this time. ;-D
> I am also not happy with the snarky responses lately. "I don't understand
> why you are doing this, but I'll judge you for it." "I didn't read your
> patch, but here's why it can't possibly work, or will set your head on
> fire, or will become a time bomb you should vaguely fear."
>
> I'm here because I'm a BackupPC user and I want to both learn and help
> others. I hope the rest of you feel the same. Even if you can't imagine
> someone's use case, and even if you disagree with it, there is no cause for
> incivility.
So, how about this question:
I need to dig a ditch and think that I can rig some sticks of dynamite,
and then plug that into a battery and watch them all go boom, but I'm
not sure what voltage battery to use? Has anyone attempted this before?
What voltage works best, or did it not work out for you?

Don't you think it's a good idea for someone to ask "Are you mad? That
stuff will kill someone when you least expect it!"

Just because people haven't actually done it, if they know anything
about explosives (I don't, except Wiley Coyote and Acme), then I think
it would be really great if they told me that a shovel or a back-hoe
would be a much better method and I should definitely not attempt to use
dynamite.

"Just because people don't agree with you, doesn't make them wrong" - I
have no idea, but I'm sure someone has said that before...

Now, can we all please stop getting our knickers in a knot and just calm
down. If you don't like a response, hit delete and move on.

PS, just for the record, I also think it's not the best path, custom
versions of software always lead to pain (in my experience), so unless
there is some major commercial advantage, then I steer clear. If it is
really a great idea, then get the patch accepted upstream (eg, like the
last useful patch for the FTP backup method).

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev