BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG

2011-10-06 19:00:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 00:58:06 +0200
Hi,

Timothy J Massey wrote on 2011-10-06 12:56:42 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad
md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed)?cpool files - WEIRD BUG]:
> Holger Parplies wrote on 10/06/2011 11:54:05 AM:
>
> > If you have switched off compression, you'll have to add a '-u' (though
> > I'm not sure this test makes much sense in that case).
>
> Well, then, it won't make much sense in *my* case:  I missed that this is
> unique to compressed pools.  (Is it?)

I don't really think so, but an empty *uncompressed* file is trivial to find
with "find", presuming you can get yourself to accept its syntax ;-).

I don't think BackupPC distinguishes much between compressed and uncompressed
files (it's just a parameter to most methods). Of course, the bug could be in
the code that finally handles compressed files, but my gut feeling is that it's
in the pooling code (presuming there actually *is* a bug, that is).

> Personally, I feel that compression has no place in backups.  Back when we
> were highly limited in capacity by terrible analog devices (i.e. tape!) I
> used it from necessity.  Now, I just throw bigger hard drives at it and am
> thankful.  :)

Don't you feel uncomfortable about deduplication, too, then? After all, it
introduces a single point of failure for common data. If you can't get back
your file from the most recent backup, because it has somehow been corrupted,
there's not much chance to get the same content from any other backup. In
other words, deduplication *is* a form of compression ;-).

Regards,
Holger