BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG

2011-10-06 14:43:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:42:09 -0500
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:

> Personally, I feel that compression has no place in backups.  Back
> when we were highly limited in capacity by terrible analog devices
> (i.e. tape!) I used it from necessity.  Now, I just throw bigger
> hard drives at it and am thankful.  :)

> No, it makes perfect sense for backuppc where the point is to keep
> as much history as possible online in a given space.

No, the point of backup is to be able to *restore* as much historical data as possible.  Keeping the data is not the important part.  Restoring it is.  Anything that is between storing data and *restoring* that data is in the way of that job.

Obviously, there *are* things that have to go between it:  a filesystem to store the data, for example.  But if I can avoid something in between storing my data and using my data, I absolutely will.

Compression falls in that area.

My experience is that the failures are more likely in the parts underneath storing the data than in the compression process.   Admittedly, that goes all the way back to storing zip files on floppies vs. large uncompressed text files and media reliability has improved a bit.

>  If you have
> trouble with compression, just throw a faster CPU at it.  Just
> anecdotally, I saw 95% compression recently on a system where
> someone requested including their web content directory and forgot
> to mention the 40Gb of log files that happened to be there.

That's all well and good.  My issue is *NOT* performance.  Or capacity, for that matter.  I'm not saying that there is no value to compression.  I'm saying that my objective for of a backup server is FIRST to be as simple and reliable as possible, and THEN only to have other features.  Features that detract from that first requirement are considered skeptically.

Media fails.  Things that reduce the media necessary to hold a given amount of data reduces the chances of failure.  The CPU and RAM can fail too, but if those go you are fried whether you were compressing or not.

This entire thread is a *PERFECT* example of why I have my reasons.  I have avoided an entire category of failure simply by throwing more disk at it (or by having a smaller "window" of backups).  Seeing as I have, at a minimum, 4 months of data (with varying gaps between the backups) within the backup server itself, and archive data in long-term storage every three months, I have what I (and my clients) feel to be enough data.  Extra capacity would have no value.  Extra reliability *always* has value.

YMMV, of course.

With compressible data you increase both capacity and reliability by compressing before storage.   There's no magical difference between the reliability of 'cat' vs 'zcat'.  Either one could fail.