BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG

2011-10-06 18:23:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 00:21:08 +0200
On Thursday 06 October 2011 20:04:57 Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 10/06/2011 01:21:29 PM:
> > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT
> > com>
>
> wrote:
> > Personally, I feel that compression has no place in backups.  Back
> > when we were highly limited in capacity by terrible analog devices
> > (i.e. tape!) I used it from necessity.  Now, I just throw bigger
> > hard drives at it and am thankful.  :)
> >
> > No, it makes perfect sense for backuppc where the point is to keep
> > as much history as possible online in a given space.
>
> No, the point of backup is to be able to *restore* as much historical data
> as possible.  Keeping the data is not the important part.  Restoring it
> is.  Anything that is between storing data and *restoring* that data is in
> the way of that job.

Actually the point of a backup is to restore the most recent version of
<something> from just before the trouble (whatever that might be).

Storing or restoring historical data is called an archive. Interestingly most
commercial archive-solutions advertise their (certified) long-term archive but
never the ability to get back that data. Makes you wonder...

Have fun,

Arnold