BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG

2011-10-06 13:23:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bad md5sums due to zero size (uncompressed) cpool files - WEIRD BUG
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 12:21:29 -0500
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:
Personally, I feel that compression has no place in backups.  Back when we were highly limited in capacity by terrible analog devices (i.e. tape!) I used it from necessity.  Now, I just throw bigger hard drives at it and am thankful.  :)

No, it makes perfect sense for backuppc where the point is to keep as much history as possible online in a given space.  If you have trouble with compression, just throw a faster CPU at it.  Just anecdotally, I saw 95% compression recently on a system where someone requested including their web content directory and forgot to mention the 40Gb of log files that happened to be there.