BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?

2011-04-21 01:09:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:07:40 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 20:01:28 +0200 on Wednesday, April 20, 2011:
 > 4.) There *was* an attempt to write a specialized BackupPC client (BackupPCd)
 >     quite a while back. I believe this was given up for lack of human
 >     resources. I always found this matter rather interesting, but I've never
 >     gotten around to even taking a look at the code, let alone do anything
 >     with it.

Interesting... it might be worthwhile to revisit this in the context
of the new BackupPC ver 4. In particular, with ver 4 using full file
md5sums (and potentially maybe other sha checksums), one could imagine
an rsync extension that in the absence of a matching file, would first
compute the local md5sum and transmit it to the BackupPC server to
look for an exact pool match...