BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?

2011-04-17 03:25:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc users list <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:23:07 +0200
Dear list,

we are facing a policy change requiring people to rename data files
in a trivial way (replace ':' with '-').

In terms of backuppc, this means that the files will have to be
transferred again, completely, right?

Or is there a way in which I can prepare the server for this change
and prevent the completely unnecessary transfer of terabytes of
data, just so backuppc can find out that the data haven't changed?

Thanks,

"when faced with a new problem, the wise algorithmist
 will first attempt to classify it as np-complete.
 this will avoid many tears and tantrums as
 algorithm after algorithm fails."
                                                          -- g. niruta

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net