BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NFS woes

2011-04-21 01:00:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NFS woes
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 00:58:15 -0400
comfi wrote at about 09:49:00 -0700 on Tuesday, April 19, 2011:
 > Thanks for all the responses, guys!
 >
 > First off, I never meant to indict BackupPC. I've known all along
 > it was an NFS issue (hence the subject title and the observation
 > that everything runs perfectly under iSCSI). However, while
 > virtually all backup options will suffer from whatever transfer
 > rate I'm experiencing, not all of them have GUI interfaces the way
 > BackupPC does. If I'm stuck with my NFS device and its problems ,
 > there's no way I can put up with navigating through the BackupPC
 > GUI to perform routine operations. It took me 20 minutes to get a
 > restore going yesterday because each click took 5 minutes.
 >
 > I'll perform the tests you guys recommend, although I've done
 > hundreds of NFS tests of the years and I know what to expect
 > there. This NFS implementation feels fairly typical,
 > speed-wise. Personally, I agree with some of you who say something
 > sounds broken. 4.5 minutes to pull up a host summary list of 3
 > servers, whose cummulative backup size is less than 400MB? That's
 > long enough to copy the entire contents of the backup pool several
 > times over. I guess what I'm looking for here is some insight into
 > what BackupPC is doing at that point, so I can figure out what it
 > is that may be broken. Is it crawling the entire backup pool for
 > something? Or is it just looking at the config files for all
 > available hosts?

It definitely sounds like something else is broken. Taking 5 minutes
to read a single relatively short log file should be near
instantaneous with or without NFS. I have no problems running NFS
server on a *very* low end NAS (arm-based device running at 800MHz
with 64MB RAM) to and 8 year old client (P4 2.5GHz, single core, 2GB
RAM) where BackupPC itself runs. I don't notice any lags on looking at
log files beyond what one would expect to bring up a web page.

 > Or, on a completely attack vector, can all of the BackupPC
 > operations be performed from a shell?

I almost never access via the GUI. In fact, I have several BackupPC
implementations that don't even have the web interface installed (they
run BackupPC on a plug computer and I didn't have room on the 512MB
flash to put apache).