BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?

2011-04-17 10:45:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:43:07 +0200
also sprach John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
[2011.04.17.1625 +0200]:
> > In terms of backuppc, this means that the files will have to be
> > transferred again, completely, right?
>
> Correct.

Actually, I just did a test, using iptables to count bytes between
the two hosts, and then renamed a 33M file. backuppc, using rsync,
only transferred 370k. Hence I think that it actually does *not*
transfer the whole file.

(btw, I also think that what I wrote in
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/24352
is wrong, but I shall follow up on this when I have verified my
findings).

beauty, brains, availability, personality; pick any two.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net