BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?

2011-04-17 12:30:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:28:46 -0500
On 4/17/11 2:23 AM, martin f krafft wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> we are facing a policy change requiring people to rename data files
> in a trivial way (replace ':' with '-').
>
> In terms of backuppc, this means that the files will have to be
> transferred again, completely, right?
>
> Or is there a way in which I can prepare the server for this change
> and prevent the completely unnecessary transfer of terabytes of
> data, just so backuppc can find out that the data haven't changed?

If you are on a reasonably fast local LAN with the clients, it may not be a
serious problem, since the server will discard the file as soon as it detects
the duplicate data content and a transfer isn't much slower than a normal
full's
read for checksum comparisons.  However, you should probably force a full run
afterward or make the change immediately ahead of a scheduled full.  If you
are
doing incrementals without incremental levels, you'll transfer the changed file
every run until a full.

If you are on a slower WAN connection, you might need to follow some of the
other advice about renaming the underlying backuppc archive files.  If I had to
do it, I'd try making another hardlink in the last full tree so both the old
mangled name and the expected new one appears (i.e. link the new name to the
existing one, you don't need to figure out the pool location) - but I really
don't know if that is good advice or not.